Sunday, August 28, 2011

writing and the lack of serene morning

Still in the topic of writing (and how it is such a nasty business), 


I've read so many references on writing saying that early in the morning is the best time to write.


The world is still quiet. The only sound you'll hear is the sound of bird chirping (yes, even if you live in urban area, somehow there are always the sound of birds chirping in the morning). Wake up very early in the morning. The silence and serenity is priceless.


I would reaaally love to do that. But serene morning never happens in my house.


My Mom, she wakes up at 3 am every day. And she knows no serenity of the morning. 
She wakes up at that hour and straightly starts the house chores. She'd start with washing the clothes, juggling it with cooking and cleaning the front yard. So there would be a mixing sound of washing machines, stoves, and the sapu ijuk. For my Mom, morning is too precious to be wasted in silence.


So there it goes. I gave up trying to follow the advice to find time early in the morning to sit and write. That's not going to work for me. There will be no serene morning in my house. 


I've made peace with my situation. Now I write everywhere, in the most unlikely times. 


I write during the family gathering (silently walked out of the crowd and find secluded place somewhere in the house), I write about thirty minutes before going to work, during lunch break in the office, on the bus, while waiting for the doctor appointment, or, like now, while baking a cake.


That would just have to do.
Because if I have to wait for the right moment to write, I'd be crazy because the emotional tension would be unbearable.


Wish me luck.


Bintaro, 8.30 am



No comments:

Post a Comment